Friday, November 30, 2012

The Future of Media

In my 21 years on this planet, I have seen many forms of technology and media change. Such changes include the way we listen to music, the size and functions of cell phones, and, of course, the television. Thinking back to when I was very young, I remember having a rather larger television set that had an antenna attached to it. Even when my family got cable when I was about 8, the TV was still pretty large.

Within the past 10 years, television companies have made their products thinner, wider, and more defined. Instead of having a large, heavy box television, the companies now produce smaller, light-weight televisions. With the high definition feature, programs now look more realistic. 3D television allows people to feel like they are part of the experience. For these reasons, I believe the television technology of the future is bright.

With all of the advances in making television look more realistic, I believe we could see a product that actually allows people to become engaged in the movie (kind of like a holoogram television). Not only would people be able to watch their favorite programs with this feature, but people could also have a conversation with other people. It would work kind of like Skype, but it would appear as if the person was actually in the same room. Unlike the holograms in movies such as Star Wars, the appearance of people would be more realistic.

While it may be years before we see this technology become popular, holograms are already in use. Many awards shows have utilized the hologram, and talk of Apple releasing an iPhone with functions that "mimic a hologram" have started (see article).  Maybe the day when we have hologram televisions isn't too far in the future. If televisions have come as far as they have so far in my life, I can't wait to see what the next 21 years bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment